What is a Sensory Diet?
A sensory diet is a range of sensory experiences that is a planned and structured program. The program is a sensory input to excite or relax our children. It provides optimal and arousal level that involves modification and organisation of the environment.
Toddler Sensory Diet Ideas
Idea’s for Proprioception;
- Massage your toddler’s body or foot ( A gentle joint compression)
- Bouncing and rocking on a peanut ball or therapy ball
- Trampoline – it doesn’t have to be big trampoline, it can be a small one child one but hold your toddlers hands
- Pushing or pulling a toy shopping trolley
- Wheelbarrowing – hold your toddler at the thighs or hips
- Shaving foam either in the bath (less mess) or put some on paper baking on a table and let your toddler play. You can also make shapes or numbers using your finger in the foam
- Play doh
- Rice table – add trucks and car’s into the rice table and let your little ones play in it with your supervision of course
- Fidget toy’s
- Different fabrics
- Vibrator toy’s
- Fish tanks
- Fibre-optic lights or lava lamp
- Bright lights for bath
- Blowing bubbles
- Blow toy’s
- Blowing games such as cotton balls, feathers etc..
- Cold wet wash flannel
- Chewing toy’s
- Sucking thick milkshake or smoothie through a straw
- Blanket swing
- Rocking horse or chair
- Music – Nursery rhymes, classical, whatever your child likes
- Singing, sing your toddler’s music they like with them or to them
Hope this help’s, leave some of your idea’s below.
Follow me on Instagram