Sponge Cake with Icing and Hundred and Thousands – School style!
Who remembers this cake from school? This cake is something I remember each time I think of my school day’s. My husband and daughter love this recipe and it’s super easy to make.
I promise it taste just like you remember!
225g self-raising flour
175g soft butter or baking spread
175g caster sugar
3 Large eggs
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
2. Mix the butter, flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs and milk into your bowl/mixer.
3. Beat/Mix well for 2 minutes until it is well beaten.
4. Pour the mixture into your desired baking tray and be sure to level the top of the mixture.
5. Bake the sponge for about 20-25 minutes until the cake has shrunk away from the sides of the tin or until the sponge springs back when you press it lightly with your fingertips.
6. Once the time is up leave the cake to cool in the tin and then ice!
I use 225g of icing sugar and added enough water to make a pourable icing, you can add the hundred and thousands and presto! Delicious sponge cake with icing and hundred and thousands just like it tasted back in school.
‘To make the cakes square like mine I used a brownie baking tray which is great and less time-consuming. However you can grease and line a baking tin or roasting tin approximately 12 x 9 inches or 20 x 22cm. Alternatively you can buy foil trays from the supermarket’
This cake is a big hit in the Bubba’s household, It bring’s back them great memories of school dessert’s.